Art of #CovidChat
A MarketPlace/ DMJ Imagery podcast series with 8 of our regional artists discussing the challenges that they have faced during Lockdown and what they have learnt as a result.
A new MarketPlace/ DMJ Imagery Ltd podcast series
For many creative practitioners, the Lockdown period during 2020 and 2021 has been both a stressful challenge and a opportunity for experimentation and learning. Inevitably, this has raised questions about what we do, how we do it and most importantly, why we do what we do.
In the Art of #CovidChat, Chatteris based filmmaker and podcast producer, David Johnson (DMJ Imagery) had the idea of hosting ‘creative conversations’ with artists from our Inkling and Connect micro-commissions.
David wanted to explore how artists have coped with transferring their skills and practice to online workshops, digital technology and downloadable resources. He also wanted to discuss the effects of not being able to be in the same physical space as workshop participants.
The podcasts include a great line-up of artists discussing music, writing, digital technology, fine art and performance.
- Bel Greenwood
- Michelle Brace
- Ric Savage
- Marian Savill
- Leanne Moden
- Genevieve Rudd
- Sally Rose
- Kaitlin Ferguson
The creative conversations launched on podcast platforms early this summer. Listen to them below.
Listen to the podcast series below:
This episode David Johnson interviews artists Genevieve Rudd and Marian Savill. The topic for this episode is Mixed Media Arts. They discuss:-
- Permission to be an artist
- Cyanotype & anthotype
- The changing of art materials and the impact of recycling
David Johnson interviews poet and writer Leanne Moden and writer Belona Greenwood. The topic for this episode is Poetry and Written Word. They discuss:-
- Initial process to start writing
- The effects of lockdown
- Learning new skills during the last year
- To write a short poem
- Short story about a stone
This episode, David Johnson interviews environmental artist Kaitlin Ferguson and publisher and illustrator Ric Savage. The topic for this episode is Use of Video in Art Projects. They discuss: –
- How they learned to create videos
- Their experiences of using videos in their work
- Missing the audience engagement
- Record the changes of nature using video
- Capture something about you
- Additional challenge – Film a one-minute elevator pitch
This episode, David Johnson interviews singer/ music leader Sally Rose and artist Michelle Brace. The topic for this episode is Music and Technology. They discuss:-
- What is VJ-ing?
- Music and Mental Health
- Folk music in the Fenland area
- Go for a walk and listen to the rhythm of your feet as you move
- Get two images – patterns/textures and digitally blend them or collage them.
To stay up to date with all our project news sign up for our newsletter.